Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise

Site Map
Pecos Gab

Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Photos 2000
Photos 2001
Photos 2002

Archive 2002

Area Newspapers
Economic Development


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas

Top Stories

Monday, December 2, 2002

City hoping signs resolve Lamar parking problems

Staff Writer

PECOS, Mon., Dec. 2, 2002 -- A parking issue at the Lamar AEP campus on West `F' Street has been solved by putting up parking signs limiting the time one is allowed to park on the easement.

According to Town of Pecos City Utilities Director Octavio Garcia, Reeves County asked him to order signs so that they could install them on the north side of the 100 block of West `F' Street, across from the Lamar campus that houses the Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD's Alternative Education Program.

The signs came as a result of students parking on the easement making it hard for the owner of the home to open his gate and get to his horses, Garcia said.

"We solved the problem," Garcia said. "High school students were parking their cars there all day and the owner could not get to his horses."

Garcia did not identify the owner of the property.

However, Greg Luna, a teacher at Lamar, said that the man claimed that the easement along `F' Street is his property and told parents that they couldn't park there.

Luna also said that the owner had told them that people were throwing objects at their horses.

Luna said that the owner had come out one day and was walking outside with what looked like a rifle with a scope on it.

"The students came and told us about it," Luna said. "It turned out to be a BB-gun with a scope on it."

Parents could park on the south side of `F' Street, Luna said but it would cause a lot of problems.

"There is a lot of traffic that comes back and forth down this street," Luna said. "And it moves kind of fast."

Garcia said that the owner had told him that he had no problem with the parents parking there to pick up their children because it only takes a few minutes.

The street is one of the narrowest in Pecos, with little room between the edge of the pavement and the front of the Lamar campus. It is also right at the city limits, meaning that the land on the north side of `F' Street is not inside Pecos.

Luna said that the City had come out to measure the street but he did not know the results of the measurements other then the fact that the half the street belonged to the Town of Pecos City and the other half belonged to Reeves County.

Garcia said that the street and easement measured a total of 60-feet.

"The street measures 30 feet," Garcia said. "That leaves 15 feet easement on each side."

Garcia said that though half of a street and ally way belongs to a resident, the easement is given to utility companies so that they can place their equipment into the ground.

"The easement is given to the utility companies to use," Garcia said.

Though they do not consider the parking issue to be a problem, Luna said that they do not know what to tell the parents when they come and pick up their children.

Luna also said that he does not know whether County Commissioner Gilberto "Hivi" Rayos is aware of the situation.

"I do not know if he knows anything about it," Luna said. "As faculty members we cannot get involved."

Though the signs have not been put up, Garcia said that they would be put up sometime this week.

"They should have been here last week," Garcia said. "But because of the Thanksgiving Holidays they have not arrived. They should be here sometime this week."

I-10, I-20 morning accidents under investigation

PECOS, Mon., Dec. 2, 2002 -- One person was reportedly killed this morning in an accident on Interstate 10 in Culberson County, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Full details were not available either from the DPS office in Pecos or in Van Horn, but the accident reportedly occurred on I-10 nine miles east of Van Horn. DPS troopers from Van Horn, along with emergency medical service personnel were called to the scene of the accident, which occurred shortly after 4 a.m. today.

DPS troopers, along with fire and emergency medical service workers from Pecos and Toyah were called out to the scene of an accident shortly after 11 a.m. this morning on Interstate 20, between Toyah and the I-10 junction. No other details were available on that accident.

Meanwhile, the DPS office in Midland did say that alcohol was a factor in a fatal accident early Friday morning in Odessa, in which a Pecos teenager was killed.

Paul Renteria, 18, died at the scene of the accident on Chaparral Drive in northwest Odessa. He was a passenger in a Chevrolet Blazer driven by 17-year-old Jose Flores. The DPS report said the Blazer was headed north on Chaparral Drive when the driver lost control of the vehicle, causing it to leave the street and roll over several times in a field.

Flores was transported to Medical Center Hospital suffering from head injuries in the accident.

Christmas concert by bands tonight

PECOS, Mon., Dec. 2, 2002 -- The Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD bands will be performing their Christmas Concert tonight at 7 p.m in the Pecos High School Auditorium.

The concert will begin with the sixth grade band, followed by both Crockett Middle School Bands, and both high school bands.

Sixth grade band members need to be on stage at 6:30 p.m. this evening, while seventh and eighth grade band members need to be in the high school cafeteria at 6:30 p.m. Admission to tonight's performances is free.


PECOS, Mon., Dec. 2, 2002 -- High Sun. 66. Low this morning 30. Forecast for tonight: Cloudy with a chance of rain mainly after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of rain is 30 percent. Tues.: Cloudy and cooler with a chance of rain. Highs around 55 early in the day. Temperatures falling into the 40s during the afternoon. NE winds 10 to 20 mph. The chance of is 50 percent. Tues. night: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Lows in the mid 30s. The chance of rain is 20 percent. Wed.: Mostly cloudy. Highs 45 to 50. Thurs.: Mostly cloudy. Lows near 30. Highs around 50.


Eliria D. Fuentes and Pablo M. Renteria III

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2002 by Pecos Enterprise