News|Opinion|Home Page|Archives Menu|Classified|Advertising|Monahans|
Corporal Emmit Moore, investigating officer for the Texas Department of
Public Safety, said alcohol was involved following his examination at
the scene about 1:35 a.m. Tuesday, though there were no alcohol-related
citations issued as a result of the accident.
The driver, Joseph Lynn Strain, 18, was at the wheel of a 1979 Ford
pickup in the 2300 block of West "F" Street, just east of Fred's Body
Shop, when he took a right turn, lost control of the vehicle and over
corrected to the left.
The truck crossed the roadway and flipped once, coming to rest upright,
facing east, said Moore.
No seat belts were worn by Strain or passenger, Eric Muniz, 16.
Strain was ejected, according to the DPS corporal, while Muniz remained
in the passenger's seat.
However, Muniz reportedly suffered a fractured ankle as a result of the
Both were taken to the Reeves County Hospital, where Strain was treated
and released. Muniz was later transported to Midland Memorial Hospital,
where he was admitted and later released, according to a hospital
Moore indicated that the boys had been pulled over by a Pecos Police
unit and told to go home some 30 minutes prior to the accident.
Strain was cited for failing to control speed and not wearing a seat
Muniz received one citation for not wearing a seat belt.
Strain, a PHS senior, has been the starting first baseman for the Pecos
Eagles this season, while Muniz, a junior, has played part-time at
shortstop. He started the Eagles' last game, on Saturday against Kermit.
There were no baseball games scheduled for Pecos this week, during
Spring Break for Pecos-Barstow-Toyah schools. Classes for P-B-T students
resume next Monday, while the next varsity game is on Tuesday at Midland
Boys and girls ages 8-12 can register either during the week, by
picking up forms at either Gibson's True Value, 810 W. Walthall St., or
at KIUN, 316 S. Cedar St., or by signing up during Saturday's tryouts,
which begin at 8 a.m.
Little League officials also have scheduled a meeting for this Friday
at 7 p.m. at Saragosa Hall on East Sixth Street. Everyone is invited to
Well, instant replay ultimately failed to get enough support for a
return to the NFL because too many coaches didn't want to take a timeout
to use it.
When the league's competition committee came up with this year's
proposal, it tied coaches' challenges of officiating calls to use of a
timeout. If the call was upheld, the timeout was gone. If the call was
reversed, the timeout still was gone.
Too much of a price to pay, 10 teams said, voting against the proposal
Wednesday. That was enough to kill it for this year.
``We have three timeouts in the first half, we have three timeouts in
the second half, and we've had it for eternity,'' Raiders owner Al Davis
said after voting against the return of replay, which disappeared after
the 1981 season because it was too cumbersome. ``I don't want to have
instant replay compromising it.
``I don't think this kills it for good. We need a manipulation of the
process. The most important thing is to keep the three timeouts in a
Joining Oakland in voting against the measure were both New York teams,
Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Kansas City and Tampa
Bay. The proposal needed 23 votes to pass.
This plan was similar to the system in effect from 1986-1991: it would
apply to possession, out of bounds and scoring plays, but not penalties.
But a replay official off the field would not be used. Instead, the
referee would make the decision after viewing a monitor on the field.
Coaches could make two challenges a game, using a timeout to do so.
Sorry. Even some coaches who support replay felt they couldn't sacrifice
``The challenge system was different from the old system,'' said Packers
coach Mike Holmgren, co-chairman of the competition committee. ``The
idea of a challenge was a little uncomfortable to some coaches. Then
having it tied to timeouts made them more uncomfortable.''
But the committee was adamant about the use of a timeout, which would
help avoid extending the length of games.
Redskins general manager Charley Casserly said a straw vote of the
coaches showed only three were opposed: Bill Parcells of the Jets, Marv
Levy of Buffalo and Tony Dungy of Tampa Bay.
``We'll be back next year,'' said Casserly, whose own proposal and one
from the league office were combined in the compromise on which the
owners voted. ``I'm disappointed, but replay will not go away when
there's 27 of 30 coaches who want it, when fans want it, when the
players want it. The issue won't go away.''
Holmgren wasn't so sure.
``I just don't know when it might come up again,'' he said. ``I think
when it does, it will be because of something that happened to a
particular team and they get upset, and then it gets its own momentum.''
In another decision, players no longer will be allowed to take off their
helmets while still on the playing field during games.
In an effort to reduce taunting and overexuberant celebrations and in
the name of safety, the league made a rules change Wednesday. Removal by
a player of his helmet after a play while he is on the field -- except
during timeouts or between periods -- will result in an unsportsmanlike
conduct penalty of 15 yards.
Players can take off the helmets once they reached the bench area.
``The colleges have done it for two years and it has worked well,''
``You're getting into taunting areas,'' added Giants GM George Young,
the other competition committee co-chairman. ``When he knows he has to
keep his hat on, he will keep his hat on.''
The vote was 23-7, the minimum for passage.
The other rules change applies to punts. When a team fakes a punt and
throws the ball downfield, pass interference calls on the two outside
defenders who are actually trying to block a coverage man from getting
downfield -- and might not even know the ball has been thrown -- have
``It was a cheap way to make a first down,'' Young said. ``It's a
(Copyright 1997 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Return to top
State and Regional Sports Pages--San Angelo Standard-Times
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall
not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or
redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Neither these AP
Materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for
personal and non-commercial use. The AP will not be held liable for
any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the
transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages
arising from any of the foregoing.
Copyright 1997 by Pecos Enterprise
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Return to Sports Menu
Return to Home Page